Running is still a miraculous thing to me, even though I’m not quite beginner status any longer. I went for a run Sunday just before I came home to New York, and the motions came naturally to me; I don’t focus on counting my breath as much, and my “take it easy” pace is what was once my “out of breath” pace. But I still think to myself in surprise, ‘It wasn’t very long ago that this was difficult – what I thought was impossible – for me!’” I am in awe of the possibility of running.
And that brings us to reason number 1 why I plan to run 2 half-marathons in 2013:
- Running makes me believe that anything is possible.
- I like where I am with my 5K, so this is the next rung on my ladder!
- It’s an excuse to travel (the half-marathons on my list are LA and Seattle).
- It’s an experience to share with my best friend, Heather.
- Running keeps me healthy!
- Running keeps me looking good in my cocktail dresses, (and jeans, and let’s admit it – I’m hoping for my best bikini body ever this year.) Take a peek at my motivations here and here.
- Running motivates other healthy behavior in my life: better sleep patterns, smarter eating choices, self-confidence…
- It’s good for me emotionally. I liken running to emptying an emotional reservoir.
- It also gives me uninterrupted time to think. I’m not online, I’m not looking at my phone, I’m not reading or writing. I get to spend some time with me and my own thoughts. What’s bothering me? What am I excited about?
- It makes good memories! (See photos – Looking back it’s so fun to see all the different types of runs, causes, and seasons!)
- The gear is pretty!
- I run outside, which is time to spend enjoying the world and praising God for his creation. I notice things like the light at different times of day, the seasons changing, cloud patterns, birds.
- It’s mentally challenging; Running is more a mental exercise than anything else. It’s a moment-by-moment battle within your own head of I-can-do-it/I-can’t-do-it/Shut-up-yes-I-can.
Have you run a marathon or half-marathon? What reward(s) did you gain from the experience? What are some of your personal growth goals for 2013?
Oh, and since I promised you 13.1 reasons, here’s the .1: “Why not!?”
Click here to visit my secret health and fitness page, and click below to see pics of some of my past races!